Working in more than 60 countries, Operation Smile is an international medical humanitarian organization who provide free services to children across the globe. Operation Smile is made up of volunteers who provide safe, effective, and free surgeries for cleft lips, cleft palates, and other facials deformities.
The volunteers for Operation Smile are made up of credentialed medical surgeons, anesthesiologists, dentists, nurses, and other professionals who “donate [their] time and talent throughout the world, giving children a new chance at life.”
Operations Smile believes that “all children deserve to live their lives with dignity. And for those suffering from cleft lip, cleft palate, or other facial deformities, dignity begins with a smile.”
- Every three minutes, a child is born with a cleft condition.
- As little as $240 can change a child’s life forever.
- A cleft-lip or cleft palate can prevent eating or drinking.
- The surgeries can take as little as 45 minutes.
- Each year, more than 200,000 children are born with cleft lips and cleft palates.
- Cleft lip or cleft palate can create ear disease, dental problems, and improper speech development.
There are many ways to volunteer your time for Operation Smile:
- Become a medical volunteer
- Share Operation Smile with friends, family and colleagues by hosting a fundraising and awareness event in your local community
- Raise funds and awareness with a Workplace Giving Campaign
- Collect items to fill Smile Bags, provide medical office supplies or Child Life Therapy interactive toys.
- Sew children’s hospital gowns, blankets, and armbands