With election season fast closing upon us, we thought that we would remind our CA readers once more of what Proposition 35 is all about, and why they should check YES when they see it on their ballot.
By way of a brief recap…
Why do you want to vote for Proposition 35?
- The average age of former (and current) trafficking victims is between 12-14.
- CA is a major child trafficking hub and we currently have very weak laws to use to combat it.
- San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles have been recognized by the FBI as high intensity child sex trafficking areas.
What will voting for Proposition 35 (CASE ACT) accomplish? It will:
- Increase prison terms for human traffickers.
- Require convicted sex traffickers to register as sex offenders.
- Require all registered sex offenders to disclose their internet accounts.
- Require criminal fines from convicted human traffickers to pay for services to help victims.
- Mandate law enforcement training on human trafficking. (Cite)
Learn more about Proposition 35 here.